The majority of employment law cases we handle are resolved to our client’s satisfaction without the need for a full hearing. However, when a hearing is necessary, we always seek to keep our cost reasonable and proportionate to the potential financial compensation available for both wrongful and unfair dismissal claims.
Our fees are generally based on the time spent on the matter. These charges are subject to VAT and do not include disbursements relating to the work which are also payable.
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £4,000 per day (excluding VAT) if attendance by a partner is required and £2,500 (excluding VAT) a day if attendance by an Associate is required. The length of any Tribunal Hearing will depend on the Tribunal’s scheduling of the Hearing and the complexity of the case.
The stages set out below are an indication only and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take a few months. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 6 to 18 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We deal with the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. They are not included in the estimates below. Counsel’s fees are estimated between £2,500 to £15,000 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing lasting 1 to 3 days (including preparation).
Our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal are:
Simple case: £5,000-£10,000 (excluding VAT)
Medium complexity case: £10,000 to £20,000 (excluding VAT)
High complexity case: £20,000 to £80,000 (excluding VAT)
Our fee includes:
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change);
- entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- preparing claim or response;
- reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party;
- exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process;
- preparing or considering a schedule of loss;
- preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing;
- exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents;
- taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses;
- preparing bundle of documents;
- reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements;
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list; and
- preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.